- Wedding Checklists
- Wedding Planning Timeline
Wedding Planning Timeline
An Overview of What Needs To Be Done
Congratulations to you on your engagement, you must be so happy at the thought of starting a new chapter in your life but could also be feeling a little overwhelmed at the prospect of planning a wedding.
Not knowing where to start is one of the biggest challenges faced by many couple planning a wedding but it doesn’t have to be.
Every wedding is different but they all must follow similar steps to make sure that everything is ready for the wedding day so, to give you an idea of the big picture we have created an infographic that outlines the primary areas that you need to consider and various times leading up to your wedding date.
You will also find below the infographic an itemized list that can be used as a a checklist to help you get started with your wedding plans.
Wedding Planning Timeline
12 Months or More Before
- Set a date.
- Determine what type of ceremony you will have religious or civil.
- Decide on a location and time for the ceremony.
- Decide on a location and time for the reception.
- Determine a theme for your wedding.
- Set yourself a wedding budget.
- Consider hiring a wedding planner.
- Draw up a rough guest list to determine numbers – you will need this information when looking at venues.
- Start looking at ceremony and reception venues and place tentative bookings until you are sure that both venues are available on your chosen date and time.
- Check that your nearest and dearest are all free on your chosen wedding date.
- Book the ceremony and reception venues and pay a deposit to secure the dates.
- Start researching florists, photographers, videographers, caterers, wedding cake makers, musicians, wedding transport especially if your wedding is to be held in peak season. If you need to hire equipment such as a marquee start talking to providers now.
- Book your celebrant if you are not having a church wedding.
- Take out wedding insurance as soon as you start paying deposits.
- Choose your maid or matron of honor, bridesmaids, bestman, groomsmen, flower girls and ring bearer.
Nine Months Before
- Meet with your marriage celebrant to discuss your wedding ceremony and book any future appointments to choose music and readings. You may also need pencil in any pre-wedding classes that may be associated intended marriage ceremony.
- Start planning your honeymoon and make sure your passports are up to date if you are going overseas.
- Start looking for your wedding dress if buying from a store or start looking for a dressmaker if you are having your dress made.
Six Months Before
- Start planning the attire for your bridal attendants.
- If you haven’t already done so confirm and pay the deposits for your DJ or wedding entertainment, wedding transport, wedding cake maker and any other vendors you are dealing with.
- Start looking at wedding stationery styles (you won’t be getting them printed until closer to the date) but it is a good idea to find out the deadline for printing and proof reading.
Three To Six Months Before
- Order your wedding rings.
- Book your honeymoon.
- Meet with your florist and photographer, videographer to finalize details.
- Plan your wedding menu, this could include food and wine tasting.
- Make sure that the groom and his attendants have booked their suits and all the sizes are available.
- Finalize the bridesmaid’s outfits, also take into consideration the flower girls outfits these might be left to a little closer to the wedding date as they can grow taller.
- If you aren’t having the dresses made ask around for the name of a good dressmaker just in case you need last minute alterations.
- Book your hairdressers and have a trail run for your hairstyle with veil and headdress.
- Book your makeup artist and do a trail run.
- Confirm the ceremony details and music with your celebrant.
- Finalize your guest list as you will need to send out your invitations soon.
Two Months Before
- Send out your invitations (around 6-8 weeks before your wedding date).
- Organize all the accessories you are going to need, veil, shoes, underwear and jewellery.
One Month Before
- Double check and confirm bookings for all your vendors, checking delivery times, details and pay any outstanding amounts.
- Follow up with any guests who have not returned their RSVP.
- Work on a seating plan as the RSVP come in.
- Confirm a playlist with the band or DJ.
- Have a final dress fitting.
Two Weeks Before
- Try on your wedding outfit to ensure that everything fits and you are not missing any accessories.
- Finalize the numbers and menu with your venue and or caterers.
- Arrange for your bachelorette party/stag party this week.
- Pack your overnight bag.
- Pack your going away bag.
One Week before
- Have the ceremony rehearsal.
- Go through all the final details such as where the groomsmen will stand, who will carry your makeup on the day, who will need lifts and so on.
- Finalize your seating plan with names clearly spelled to your venue along with filled in place cards if you are using them.
- Wrap any thankyou gifts for the wedding attendants.
The Day Before
- Take some time out for you.
- Get your nails done.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
Ok, now that you have looked at the bigger picture you can now start planning your own wedding in more detail.
To help you get started with you can download a pdf copy of the above wedding planning timeline by clicking on the image below.