Wedding Ceremony Checklist
A well planned wedding ceremony checklist will ensure that everything will run smoothly on one of the most important days of your life.The ceremony wedding plan checklist below is designed to help you keep track of everything that you need to prepare for, leading right up to the day and the actual day itself.
Depending on your faith and wedding style some of the items listed may not be relevant to you. Simply cross of these items that are unnecessary and use the rest to ensure that nothing is left to chance.
Wedding Ceremony Checklist
As Soon As You Get Engaged
Decide on a wedding date and time.
- Decide if your ceremony will be religious or non-religious.
- Select a church or other venue for your ceremony.
- Organize dressing facilities' if needed.
- Select marriage celebrant or clergy.
- Check fee/gratuity for clergy or marriage celebrant and site.
- Organize photographer/videographer.
- Select a florist.
- Select musicians.
- If you are having your ceremony or reception at home, arrange for home and garden improvements as needed.
- Who will be giving away the bride?
- Select members of your bridal party.
- Make appointments with bridal bouquets.
Six Months Before
- Order your wedding dress and organize your accessories.
- Order your Brides maids dresses.
- Order/book the groom’s and groomsmen's suits.
- Book a hairdresser.
- Organize transport to the ceremony.
- Visit your florist and choose your flowers.
Four Months Before
- Discuss the details of the service with the ceremony officiant.
- Select readings and prayers.
- Select readers for the readings and prayers.
- Select your wedding vows or write your own (this will be dependent on the type of ceremony you have chosen).
- Meet with the photographer and videographer to discuss your requirements.
- Discuss with your photographer and videographer how you would like your ceremony recorded. E.g. photos at home, during the ceremony, after the ceremony etc.
- Organize adequate time between the ceremony and reception for the after ceremony group shots.
- Decide who you want in these group shots and inform them that you would like them to be in the photos so they don’t leave before the photos are taken.
- Appoint someone (preferable someone who is familiar with all or most of your guests) to organize groups for photos. To speed things up make a list of people in these groups and hand it to your designated person before the wedding day.
- Appoint ushers for the ceremony.
- Order your wedding flowers.
- Order rose petals or confetti (check with the manager of ceremony venue if these are allowed).
- Order wedding rings.
- Select music to be played during the ceremony.
- Select witnesses usually members from your bridal party.
Two To Three Months Before
- Obtain the marriage license.
- Organize the necessary papers (birth certificates, divorce papers etc) associated with the marriage ceremony that are required by law in your state. This may have to be done earlier than this if your papers are coming from another country.
- Reconfirm your ushers.
- Reconfirm the readers for readings and prayers.
- Make or print out wedding ceremony booklets.
- Organize ring pillow.
- Organize flowers girls’ basket.
- Organize aisle runner if required.
- Purchase guest book and pen.
- Organize pew/chair decorations.
- Unity candles if having this type of ceremony.
- Sand Ceremony if having this type of ceremony.
- Organize chairs for the ceremony if necessary.
- Organize a table for the ceremony if necessary.
Two To Six Weeks Before The Wedding
- Confirm the ceremony details with your officiant.
- Lodge your notice of intent to marry - your celebrant will be able to advise you on this.
- If you are writing your own vows complete it now - and place your vows on palm cards.
- Confirm your transport details.
- Decide if your wedding transport is to be decorated - (just check with the owner of the transport if this is OK), purchase or make these decorations or they may already have.
- Ask the driver if he/she will decorate your wedding transport.
- Meet with your photographer to confirm wedding date, time, location and any special photos you want.
- Meet with the videographer to confirm wedding date, time, location and any special events or people you want videotaped.
- Meet with the musicians and confirm wedding date, time, location and the music to be played.
- Determine the ceremony seating for special guests.
- Make the final floral selections and confirm the following details with the florist wedding date, delivery time, delivery location and specifications.
- Schedule a rehearsal.
- Notity your bridal party members and others involved in your ceremony of the rehearsal.
- At the wedding rehearsal ask your ushers to be at the ceremony venue on your wedding day at least 30 minutes earlier.
- Give your readers copies of their readings/prayers so that they can prepare.
- Appoint someone or several people to decorate the church pews or chairs on the wedding day.
- Arrange for fittings of bridal party members attire.
- Pick up the wedding rings and check for fit.
- Pick up your wedding gown.
- Start to “break in” your wedding shoes - members of your bridal party many want to do the same.
One Week Before
- Pick up wedding attire and make sure everything fits.
- Gather everything you will need for the rehearsal and wedding day.
- Ensure that the bridal party understands their individual roles.
Day Before Wedding
- Place payments for celebrant, florist, and musician’s fees etc. into envelopes and give to the Best man to take care of.
- Give Best man the wedding rings.
- Give your vows which you have on palm cards to your Bridesmaid and Best man and have them bring these to the ceremony - this will act as a backup if your mind goes blank on the day.
- Give ceremony seating list to your ushers.
- Give the wedding ceremony booklets to the ushers.
- Give guest book and pen to ushers.
- Reconfirm with ushers to be at least 30 minutes earlier at the ceremony location, just in case you have guests arriving early.
- If your wedding transport is a borrowed vehicle organize it to be cleaned inside and out.
- If the wedding transport is to be decorated give these to your nominated person.
- Get your nails done.
- Have an early night.
On The Wedding Day
- Eat breakfast.
- Have your hair and make-up done.
- Get dressed in your wedding gown.
- Your appointed person should have decorated your wedding transport.
- Your ushers will be at the venue at least 30 minutes before the ceremony to greet any early guests.
- Ushers to seat guests and hand out wedding programs.
- Your nominated person/s will have decorated the church pews or chair well before the wedding ceremony.
- Groom and his groomsmen arrive at least 10 minutes before the ceremony.
- Bride to be fashionably late but no more than 15 minutes.
- After the ceremony take time to enjoy the taking of group photos, because your nominated person will have everyone at the ready.
- Enjoy your wedding ceremony and your day.