Wedding Cake Decoration Ideas
(See 100 images of beautifully decorated wedding cakes.)
When it comes to wedding cake decoration and style there is really no right or wrong way. You have total freedom as to what your cake will look like and be.
It can be traditional, contemporary or somewhere in between, it can match your theme or not, it could be huge or small it’s entirely up to you. Regardless of the type of cake you choose the following points should be kept in mind when planning the wedding cake.
How many people will the cake have to serve? This is determined by the number of guests on your list as well as the number of people you wish to give a piece of cake to who can’t attend your wedding. Once you know this number your cake size can be determined.
Do you want to stay with tradition and save cake for your first anniversary or baby? If you do you might like to have an additional smaller cake made which can be kept uncut just for that.
How large or small is the venue? Consider the venue size if it is a large ball room you might want to upsize your wedding cake a little so that it won’t look lost in all that space or reduce the size of an oversized wedding cake for small venue.
You may already have an idea how you want your cake decorated, but if not here are some suggestions that may help you get started in the planning process.
Different Cake Shapes
Will your cake be: square, round, heart, rectangular, petal shaped or a combination of any of these or another shape entirely such as a wedding dress, suitcases, birds or something else.
1. Square wedding cake.
2. Round wedding cakes.
3. Petal shaped wedding cakes.
4. Rectangular cakes.
5. Heart shaped wedding cake.
6. Hexagonal cakes.
7. Novelty cake made to look like a wedding dress.
8. Cylinder shaped wedding cake.
9. Oblong shaped cakes.
Of course you are not limited to these shapes there are many more possiblities - these are the most common. Next decide on how you want the cake to be covered.
The icing that you put on your cake will depend on the look you are trying to achieve for your cake. The most common icing options are buttercream, fondant icing, chocolate and ganache and in some instances very little or none at all.
For some designs the cake icing might be best left smooth and in some cases you may want a textured look to help emphasize the design. The most common icings for giving texture are buttercream or fondant icing.
Buttercream is best spread with a palette knife or piped whereas fondant icing can be rolled smooth or given a textured look. Below you will find some examples of the various ways that icings and frosting can be used on cakes.
9. Wedding cake dusted with icing sugar and decorated with fresh fruit.
10. Cake moderately decorated with frosting and fresh flowers.
11. Wedding cake heavily dusted with icing sugar.
12. Cake with smooth buttercream frosting.
13. You can have a combination of cake icings.
14. The icing on the cake has been raised to give an interesting textured look.
15. A charming basket weave design has been hand piped onto the cake.
16. Pleated looks can be created using rolled fondant icing.
17. Rolled fondant icing can create soft drapes and swags for a regal look.
18. Vertical lines and other textures can be created using a soft frosting such as buttercream.
19. Different textured looks can be created using soft frostings.
20. Various edible shapes can be created.
Color Of The Icing
You should also consider the color of the icing as this will be the background to your decorations.
21. You might like to go with soft subtle tones for a delicate understated look.
22. Select a color that will compliment and make your decorations stand out.
23. Have a background that is white or neutral to allow the other colors to be prominent.
24. Be bold and use black or some other extremely dark color to cover your cake.
25. Have the icing colors go from light at the top to a darker shade at the bottom for an ombre look.
26. Use complimenting colors to cover the cakes.
27. Icing can be airbrushed and painted to give a unique creative wedding cake look.
In this case the icing has been airbrushed and painted in warm brown tones to give it a rustic wood grain look.
28. The icing and decorations can color match.
29. Use a variety of colors. Three of the tiers have been kept white with the top in blue.
Putting It Altogether
What would be the best way to assemble the cakes that will allow your wedding cake to stand out and hightlight the decorative features.
By this I mean do you want the cakes directly stacked on top of one another, separated by cake pillars, or have the cakes kept separate from each other and so on. You should take this into consideration when you plan your wedding cake - as some cakes may need to be assembled before any decoration can be started.
30. You can have cakes stacked directly on top of each slightly of center.
31. Cakes can be stacked and aligned evenly on the cake below.
32. You can use tiered cakes stands. These are available in different styles.
33. You can be creative and use items that fit in with your theme.
34. You could display your cakes at multi levels rahter than on top of each other.
35. Four cake multi tier display idea.
36. You could have a combination of stacked wedding cakes and a separated tier.
37. You don't have to use cake decoration supplies to seperate the tiers - you could use wine glasses and fill them with rose petals.
38. Space out the cake layers only slightly and fill the space with flowers to hide the pillars.
39. Use decorative metal cake stands these come in various size and round and square shapes.
40. Use cake plates either glass, porcelain or metal to display single cakes or small two tiered cakes.
18 Fun Creative Cake Ideas
41.Hedgehog bride and groom wedding cake idea.
42. Mountain climbing wedding cake decoration idea.
43. Gold pyramid wedding cake.
44. Decorate your cake based on your favourite TV show.
45. A gaming inspired cake.
46. Fairy tale inspiration
47. X Box wedding cake.
48. Three tiered sombrero hat wedding cake..
49. Cycling theme wedding cake.
50. All packed and ready to go.
51. Hisotrical based wedding cake design.
52. Las Vegas wedding cake.
53. Seasonal themed wedding cake.
54. Sweet inspirations.
55. Travel themed wedding cake decoration.
56. Garden inspired wedding cake.
57. Punk style wedding cake.
58. Fun seaside theme cake.
Non Floral Decorations
59. Wedding cake decorated with shells.
60. Use fruit as decoations.
61. Keep the design smiple with dots and ribbon.
62. White and blue circle coverd cake.
63. Modern wedding cake.
64. Wedding cake with heart cake topper.
65. White and green wedding cake, with chocolate cake.
66. Blue and white peacock wedding cake.
67. Chocolate and berry cake.
68. Painted wedding cake.
69. Small round wedding cakes with big bow topper.
70. Silver and red polka dot cake.
71. Simple wedding cake with gold ribbon.
72. Square wedding cakes with fresh fruit.
73. Dargon fly wedding cake decorations.
74. modern green and pink wedding cake.
75. Penguin wedding cake.
76. Cream colored snowflake wedding cake.
77. Chocolate wedding cake idea.
78. Black and red wedding cake.
Floral Decoration Ideas
79. Cream and white wedding cake with small flowers.
80. Three tiered blue and white wedding cake with flower decorations.
81. Two tiered vintage style wedding cake.
82. Three tiered white and green wedding cake with cascading flowers.
83. Simple wedding cake idea.
84. Elegant Blue and white wedding cake idea.
85. Wedding cake covered with roses.
86. Small wedding cake with tulip flower decorations.
87. Wedding cake with bird cage topper.
88. Purple, white and blue wedding cake idea.
89. White wedding cake with pink flowers.
90. Chocolate and gold wedding cake.
91. Field of flowers.
92. Square pink weddign cake with pink flowers.
93. Green weddign cake with colorful daisies.
94. Fondant iced flower wedding cake.
95. Square cream and yellow wedding cake.
96. Red rose wedding cake with bride and groom topper.
97. Brown and orange calla lily cake decoration.
98. Vintage style rose wedding cake.
99. Large brown bow is the main wedding cake decoration feature on this cake.
100. Red and white flower wedding cake.
If you would like to do your own wedding cake decorations take a look at this video from waitrose.com
they give some very simple but very nice ideas.
Images obtained from Flickr have been used by permission under the creative commons licences by -sa/2.0/
/ and –nd/2.0/